Some people with CLOVES/PROS receive Special Education services in the public school setting. Learn about Special Education laws, your rights, resources to have on hand and some pro tips about how to keep all of your educational paperwork organized.
Organizing your records:
Does your child have an IEP? Get a sturdy 2-3 inch binder. This will be traveling with you for many years to all your meetings.
- IEP/504 (include all 504 plans or IEPs and amendments)
- IEP progress notes (YOU MUST RECEIVE THESE EVERYTIME A "REGULAR ED" REPORT CARD COMES HOME - even if it takes another two weeks or so.) If you receive three report cards, you receive 3 progress notes with details about how your child has progressed on IEP goals.); IEP written notices, also called "prior written notice" even when written after a meeting (These are the school's meetings notes. Include your OWN meeting notes in this section. Legally, you are allowed to bring anyone to an IEP)
- Special education evaluations and reports (include any private evals or medical reports, if that applies)
- Standardized Assessments (include any state assessments-in MAINE: NWEA, NECAP, STAR, Acuplacer-high school-PSAT, SAT; School Report Cards (include high school transcripts)
- Home/school communication (either log time, date, content of calls or copies of emails pertaining to services, grades, IEP)
- Timeline: each year document concerns about school work and staff interaction/student placement. You can't predict when you needs this, so do it proactively. It can be helpful in Annual IEP or 504 plan review when you are asked to document parent concerns IN THE IEP or verbally at a 504 review meeting.
- ALSO PRINT OFF A FEW CLOVES FACT SHEETS TO HAVE HANDY AT MEETINGS FOR NEW STAFF.
IEP EXPLAINED (the form):
Executive Functioning information:
Laws to keep in mind: ADA (504), IDEA (IEP), FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education)
And resources to guide you at meeting time:
- Evaluations http://adayinourshoes.com/iep-evaluations/
- Parent Input http://adayinourshoes.com/creating-vision-statement-childs-iep/
- Documentation http://adayinourshoes.com/iep-prior-written-notice-pwn/
- Legal help http://adayinourshoes.com/wrightslaw-iep-special-education/